View: 81|Reply: 0

How to ruin storytelling.

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 07:57:17 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
When I started watching this series I was interested to see how racism was going to be dealt with. But it all feels so forced. The people are all so stereotyped. Luckily the episodes are only 30 minutes. So I managed to watch the first five. But something happened in episode five that made me stop watching.

SPOILER ALERT: The kids are having a party. Two kids (white and black) get in to a heated debate about the use of the word n****r. A fight breaks out and exactly at that moment the cops arrive. One of the cops (a fat white dude) singles out the black kid and pulls a gun on him when he refuses to show his ID. Under gunpoint he is forced to show his ID. And then the cops leave.........

Really? This is some very bad storytelling. In real life you get arrested for not showing your ID. Maybe the writers should have let the black (and white) kids get angry at the way their friend was being treated. Start a little riot. Then it might have made sense for a bigoted cop to pull out a gun. But this? This scene just completely ruined it for me. But then again, maybe this sort of thing really happens in the USA. I'm just a white dude from Europe. Who am I to judge on American culture. I hope you enjoy this show, if exaggerated storytelling doesn't bother you.

score 5/10

WatcherontheMount 30 April 2017

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3696764/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部