View: 64|Reply: 0

Fun, a bit lacking, and a lot of potential

[Copy link]
29-5-2020 02:56:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I went into RWBY almost entirely blind as to what it was, and I've just finished the first season in a single sit-down. What initially caught my attention were two things, the fight scenes I'd found in some amv's, and the weapon Ruby uses. The fight scenes are incredible, at least the bigger ones (my unquestionable favorite was the group fight against the bird creature). They're fluid, creative, beautiful, and exciting. Unfortunately, that's the only time I could call the animation any of those things, but it's my understanding this show doesn't have the highest of budgets, so I can let that slide quite easily. Ruby's weapon is one of the coolest things I've seen in recent years in terms of weapon design, and the styles of each character in the show are usually just as visually pleasing to match. I'd love to see what this show could do with more money in the aesthetics alone.

My main problems with the show were the voice acting and the writing. The voice acting ranged from pretty good to terrible, while the writing, at times, felt a little too contrived and forcefully "anime-ish" in style. I understand the show is meant to take from that form of media, but a lot of the stereotypical tropes it tries to pull come off as out of place and uncomfortable, which may possibly become less of a problem with a better voice cast and quality of animation - maybe. Some characters are better than others. I absolutely hate Yang's character and actress, while I love Nora's, Jaune's, and - at times - Pyrrha's.

Yang as a character is boring and predictable, her lines are delivered dryly, too quickly, or just poorly in general. So poorly, in fact, there were times I had to stop the episode and go back a few seconds to understand what she'd said. Nora is genuinely funny, Jaune's lovable and is, even though he suffers from some of the previously mentioned overused anime tropes/clichés, maybe the the most human and relatable character on the show. His relationship with Pyrrha is fun and often cute to watch, and they have great chemistry together. There were moments from all characters that made me roll my eyes or wonder who thought it'd be a good idea to fit that embarrassing line into the script, but nothing that made me want to turn it off.

Conclusively, I found the show to be worth watching, not only for what it is right now, but for what it might be in the future. If you like exciting battles, cute girls, and creative ways to make those cute girls do exciting things, I recommend it. If you want incredible writing and peerless acting, look elsewhere or wait until the show improves - which I think and hope it will.

score 6/10

Arogath_Oblivion 20 August 2014

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3072226/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部