View: 73|Reply: 0

Bread and Circuses

[Copy link]
29-11-2019 00:49:26 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
My friends and roommates watch this show compulsively. Sometimes they watch three hours in a row. I have to bite my tongue to keep from insulting the TV screen.

I suppose I just don't understand this show. It's always obvious from the beginning who the guilty party is, especially when they try to trick you into thinking it's the neighbour. It's just as clear that the show will end with a guilty verdict, and that the defense attorneys will be incompetent. Along the way our heroic detectives will harass the defendant (even the one who obviously isn't the criminal) and break several laws obtaining evidence to use against the wrong guy. At the end of the day, they never even say "sorry."

I could forgive this if it weren't for the characters. Crabby old men and crabby young women comprise the cast of an average episode. At best they're two dimensional, and at worst they're extremely annoying (I'm not a fan of shows about assholes). They have no depth, and very little personality. Sam Waterston of the bushy eyebrows plays the heroic prosecutor, assisted by a rotating cast of severe young supermodels.

When, in the mid 1990's, this show crossed-over with "Homicide: Life on the Street", its actors reported that they had a much better time on the lower-rated detective show. On "Law & Order" the characters interrogate witnesses and suspects, and argue their cases in court. In "Homicide" the characters talk about the murders, the suspects, each other, and any number of other topics. "Law & Order" is entirely about the cases, rather than any of the individuals involved; "Homicide" was about the people and the effects of crime.

So, what's the appeal of a show with no suspense, and no character development? Do people watch this simply because they like to see the bad guys get what they deserve? Why not just watch "COPS"?

score /10

The_Other_Snowman 1 May 2005

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1071064/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部