View: 69|Reply: 0

Tedious, boring, humorless, repetitive, insulting to the intellect

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 08:33:27 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I've never read the source material, and don't recall watching all of the movie of the same name, so perhaps those that enjoyed those might enjoy the nostalgia, but I slogged through it hoping to find something of value and never did.

The adults are beyond silly. In this universe, adults make poor decisions while explaining the very details that make the decision a poor one, and this passes as humor. Adults can't see through simple disguises even with main characters they've seen before -- even when they make up stupid names for their undercover character and slip up on lines that reveal who they truly are. Yet, the children know immediately. Many of the characters are one-dimensional as either villains or flawed heroes fixated on one subject or another.

The contrived dangers largely revolve around harming one of the children, and the situation is absurd, the evil plan is absurd, the children's solution is absurd, and I have to fight the urge to argue with the screen about the plot holes and better solutions.

I had truly hoped that Neil Patrick Harris could pull off some magic with this one. He largely falls flat as a mostly one-dimensional character himself. He has very little range of emotion or depth, little backstory, and while he's too silly to be feared as a villain, he's too flat of a character to evoke any other emotion either.

The children rattle off their lines like they're reading directly from the script - with little emotion or inflection. There's no sense of danger or horror even as lives are threatened and people are killed.

The show can't decide what it's supposed to be, but clearly there are attempts at humor. There's some situational irony and a few laughs, though they are few and far between.

I'd say unless you're a fan of the source material, there's not much to enjoy in this other than seeing NPH being silly and some cameos of various celebs.

score 4/10

kingramze 20 January 2017

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3623417/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部