everybody hates Chris well i love him

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 06:04:13 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
score /10

What a show! Having just recently been introduced to the 'real' humour of Chris Rock I feel like even though I grew up thousands of miles away, I know exactly where the guy is coming from.

Now onto the show.

The show itself is a basic biography of what it was like growing up in Chris's shoes. Set in Brooklyn in '82, The show has the same premise of other such shows before it, e.g '8 simple rules' and 'home improvement'. With the format two parents three kids etc, but that is where the similarities end. Instead of all the characters being hip and cool in their own way, with problems that can be solved with just punch line after punch line. Here we have something that has not been done in my opinion since 'the wonder years', and that is a strong, (dare i say it) realistic comedy drama. We have his father Julius who is that tight he wouldn't part with last weeks paper (isn't/wasnt everyone's dad like that.) We only have to see where he tells his kids ' there is 49 cents worth of spilt milk on the table and somebody is drinking that,'just how thrifty he is. We have his mother Rochelle who for me is hilarious as she has '100 different recipes for whooping ass', and is not afraid to use them. A real no nonsense woman who can wind the Father round her little finger with just one line of dialogue (god its awful being a bloke). That is the adults dealt with now this brings us onto the children Chris's younger brother, Drew. Now he is a cool guy 'getting women at ten that Chris couldn't get till he was thirty.' A typical smart outgoing kid something Chris isn't. Then we have Tonya the baby sister. If your the middle or older child in your family need I say more? she gets Chris into as much trouble as possible and leaves him firmly in it at any available opportunity.

That leaves us with our main character Chris. Chris is a typical eldest child with responsibility placed upon him whether he likes it or not. He's not the coolest kid in school and is constantly being bullied. He fits in with the nerds only because a) he cant play sports so no point going with the jocks, and b), he just cant picture himself in the theatre group. That leaves him the nerds which being the only black kid at an all white school tells us something as the nerds are the only ones who don't judge him, which makes a valid point about equality even at school. He is constantly having to clean up the mess of other family members and generally wants a peaceful life. He has some real depth to his character, which is further deepened by the voice over of Chris Rock which tells us how things are, how he felt, and what annoyed him at various times etc.

Finally I have tried and hopefully succeeded in keeping this comment vague (even though I know its long) As I think that you all need to watch this show as I bet you will watch it and think 'hey that used to happen to me' try the show once bet you enjoy it.

tommy_mc 9 April 2006

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1337296/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部