View: 44|Reply: 0

Beware Scary Good Time

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 11:11:33 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
This is an honorable mention in my personal favorite horror anthologies. This is also another of my childhood and adolescent relics when I was about eleven or twelve I was a fan of the Goosebumps books, I got into them because they reminded me of the horror anthology shows I watched like "Are You Afraid of the Dark" but also "Tales from the Crypt" but for kids.

They really were cool, I liked the stories most of them were genuinely scary, they weren't watered down most of the stories carried within a genuine sense of danger. I even like that the protagonists are kids which isn't always common in the horror genre.

But also I really like the cover art on most of those books which was really cool and scary looking at the same time, which is something most horror books had in the late 60's to 90's which is something I sorely miss; because just seeing that cover art just motivated you into reading that book and expecting to be in for a horror treat.

I watched this TV show around the sixth grade when I was at my adolescence, when I heard about the live action TV adaptation I was psyched because I always felt the book series could be made into a TV show.

The only bad thing is some of the effects in an episode or two aren't up to par. But the main problem is certain stories that are fan favorites maybe missing from the series and excluded. But those things were all mainly due to budget limitations which meant access to certain proper effects tech was limited but most of all why they couldn't order up on more episodes which is why the seasons of the show were a tad short, so that's why I can let this slide.

But to me what really powered the episodes was the stories themselves, and even some of the kid actors in them did a good job acting wise, some maybe familiar faces which is cool, seeing some have their start in this show. The show I felt really captured the spirit of the series, if maybe not perfectly, but good enough to flow right, be entertaining, but most importantly good in their own way. I even like the theme song which is spooky and reflects the nature of the book series. I'll just state a few of my favorite episodes/tales.

Camp Nightmare: This episode is based on one of my favorite volumes in the series. This story is more on the suspense thriller side you could say almost like an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" but for kids. I like how everything is just unsettling from beginning to end, as everything that is happening in camp isn't Kosher.

Say Cheese and Die: I really like the concept where it flipped the notion of camera's always capturing the happiest parts of life, here it's the worst. Really like the look of each of the photographs which were each disturbing as it depicted misfortune as well as bring it. Also, this tale has a young Ryan Gosling, which makes the tale even better and it was a good start for the guy.

Welcome to Dead House: This really is my favorite tale in both the show and book series. From beginning to end there is just suspense and tension that just continually ratchets up as the story progress. I like the look of the house and town they're in which are creepy looking as they just spell danger all over. Just like the kids you feel completely unsettled and uncomfortable because you know in the back of your mind something rotten going on in Denmark. And you hope the kids find the truth on time as their survival may depend on it.

I wouldn't mind if they did a revival of this series, but put it on a premium channel like Shutter and have a big budget so we can put some other fan favorite tales that never made it on the first show, it's a thought to consider anyway.

"Your in for a scary good time."

Rating: 3 and a half stars

score 9/10

hellraiser7 31 October 2019

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw5225323/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部