View: 39|Reply: 0

Interesting timing. I see a 'Breaking Bad' cult like develop for this.

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 09:10:29 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
There are plenty of viewers who have not and will not see the original Euro series for a variety of reasons, the most obvious of course being sub-titles (if an American version is available). I'm a fan of Swedish thrillers but given the numerous comments to the effect that the plot as basically been true enough to the original, and given I've started to watch this American version I'll wait till I've seen the 13 episodes. With the last eight episode of the last season of 'Breaking Bad' around the corner, the timing for launching 'The Bridge' is fortuitous.

Having watched only the first three episodes so far, I'm satisfied that the IMDb storyline will suffice for the prospective viewer's 'need to know' about the plot. I was a huge 'Breaking Bad' fan and I sense that once viewers have seen at least a few episodes, they will want to see the rest, just like the Vince Gilligan series. The comparison is of course not based on the characters or the plot, as they are far apart from each other. What makes me use this comparison is that the characters are developing before our eyes in much the way as the award winning series did develop its characters.

Most of the negative reviews about the first few episodes have been focused on the performance of Diane Kruger; so here's my take on this to start off. She plays a detective with Asperger syndrome and that is a most difficult role to do, for anyone. That syndrome is a form of autism and viewers may tend to compare her performance to that of notables who have played so brilliantly such role before; I'm thinking of course of Dustin Hoffman and Claire Danes. But Asperger is just not the same. Some reviewers were kind enough to relate their personal experiences dealing with Asperger individuals and if you do your research you will find out the characteristics of these individuals afflicted with the syndrome are ones very hard to detect on the surface or in casual contact. Hence, Kruger's character will not be endearing; it would make no sense, unless the producers were going for flash. I'll admit I was put off by the character at first (1st episode) but once I got to understand the character, and after a little research, I love Kruger's performance.

The counterpart to Kruger's Sonya Cross character, is Marco Ruiz, played oh so well by Damian Bichir. The dynamics of these two main characters are so different in that each has much to be concerned about personally, Cross with the future of her job and Ruiz with the life of his family at risk; such is only scratching the possibilities and directions the investigation can and will be taking us. Each episode so far has had developments that ramp up the intrigue and get us more and more involved and wanting to know WHAT NEXT. To be continued: I hope and trust to have still a positive edit to this review by the end of the 13 episodes.

score 8/10

JohnRayPeterson 26 July 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2839117/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部