View: 55|Reply: 0

Enjoyable show despite detestable main character...

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 08:42:40 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm currently binge-watching this show and I'm at season 5 episode 7 right now, just a fyi.

The show is pretty interesting and watchable, and binge-watch worthy -- I'm living proof of that. To be honest, I was pretty surprised how good the show is, especially considering the fact that this is a 20 min per episode TV series. And I'm very much not a fan of those, because I usually find them to be shallow and generally lacking in depth. So what I was expecting was a silly sitcom-like show with some drama... and man, was I wrong!

I'm seriously impressed by how much "goodness" can be packed into a mere 20 min episode. And also by the character and plot development.

Especially Nancy's development is very intriguing and interesting, as is Shane's.

So, not gonna lie, I slowly but surely grew to hate & detest Nancy more and more throughout the series, with each episode. She is a poisonous, narcissistic ȼǚnt who destroys and ruins everything she touches. She brings everyone down with her, but surprisingly, is always the (only) one who comes out ahead of all the shīț she rains down on everybody else. It is baffling. That woman might have been likable in the beginning of the show, but I'm beginning to reach the point where I'm starting to wonder if I can keep watching a show with a main character who became so unlikable that I find myself hoping for her to be finally killed off to end all the suffering she's causing for everybody else.

Especially in situations in which she's whining about the unfairness of it all and "why is it always her that attracts so much shīŧ", and really, "what did she ever do to deserve this"?! Boo hoo! What a self-involved, egoistic ⓑītch.

Honestly, the only characters I still like are Andy (what a lovable, stupid goof) and Silas. Can't really make up my mind about Shane, I miss the sweet kid with that intact "moral compass"--although let's be honest, with that mother the kid never stood a chance.... Hopefully he'll change for the better again... there are still 2 seasons left after all.

So, you see my dilemma. On the one hand we deal with an absolutely unlikable and intolerable main character who I couldn't care less about at this point. Who really should be dead a 100 times over by how reckless and stupid she acts. Who is a danger to her kids. Who is an grade-A aƨƨhole. On the other hand it's exactly her unpleasantness as a person that drives the show...

Nevertheless, I'd really like her to get back some redeeming quality so that I might be able to start caring about her character again... I mean, I'm not new to anti-heroes as main characters. Hell, "Filth" is my favourite movie of all times, so yes, I'm definitely not averse to MCs being total aƨƨhole. But somehow Nancy is starting to get on my nerves...

Nevertheless, this TV series is interesting, refreshingly unique, entertaining and manages to keep me intrigued. And engrossed. So, all in all an enjoyable show so far.

score 7/10

Perse_phone 7 April 2016

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3448037/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部