View: 52|Reply: 0

Reminded Me Why I Never Watch BBC Drama

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 08:34:10 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Ten minutes in, I had to turn this rubbish off.

The acting isn't so bad, though the actors lack charisma. The main culprit is REALLY BAD DIRECTING. I knew within 10 seconds of the first scene this was going to be bad. The editing is ridiculously jarring. Every cut is painfully visible. There's no sense of pace. No sustained shots for the characters to EMOTE. How can I put this without sounding over the top? Suffice to say, it's THAT bad.

There's a painfully bad attempt to capture Bond-style action with a chase sequence while on a 'bridge' just after the protagonist has been shot by an arrow, which is not only VERY BADLY DONE but also RIDICULOUSLY INAPPROPRIATE. This guy is an oceanographer of something - not James Bond.

What amazes me is that there's a committee called the BBC that backs these decisions. If I were there, this kind of tripe would never get past first base. It angers me because I see it again and again. The Survivors was another example of very badly executed drama by the BBC. And there's been loads more since.

After ten minutes, I turned it off. The TV flicked over to an episode of Criminal Minds. Not the best of American drama, but the sudden shift in production values was like a giant slap in the face. Atlantis made Criminal Minds look like priceless modern art.

It's disgraceful that the BBC can keep kicking out such rubbish and actually believe they're making something worthwhile. God forbid they should ever find someone who actually knows what they're doing and make a commercial drama that's actually not an insult to decent television.

score /10

Sandy-804-101033 28 September 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2878024/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部