View: 57|Reply: 0

Proof that 27 million people like anything that glitters.

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 06:21:40 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
This show is a fantastic example of style over substance and how people will buy into anything that looks pretty and reads dramatically, no matter how truly ridiculous it is. I watched the first four episodes of this show with a grain of salt and an open mind because I was hoping for something innovative and cutting edge. What did I see? An awkward hybrid of American Beauty, Twin Peaks, and dashes of Sex and the City. On paper that combination of shows doesn't look all that bad and even seems intriguing; in real life it is thoroughly unsuccessful due to stagnant writing that centers around suburban lies, affairs, and secrets. I no longer watch the show because the show itself doesn't really know what it is. Is it a drama? Is it a comedy? You would think it would be considered a drama by looking at the infidelity, secrets, lying, marital problems, drug addiction, etc. that goes on the show. But, no, what is this? Slapstick humor. Yes, you read right. People fall through floors, get caught in "awkward" situations, and say cute little lines of dialogue. Please, this show would be entirely better without all of the flirts with juvenile humor.

The cast is composed of beautiful, albeit washed-up actresses. The problem I have with the show is that it makes all characters, males and females, very stereotypical people. All we need is a old Chinese man with a long mustache, a kimono, and sandals and the cast would be complete. You can tell when writing is weak when writers have to turn to types to fill in personalities.

27 million people watch this show, but why? What is so grand about it? A small number of men watch it for women who prance around in lingerie and a majority of women watch it because of the incredibly lame and cliché melodrama that the show constantly bleeds. I won't completely bash the show because it has found a way to be successful, but there is so much better television out there and I suggest for most of the people who watch this show to seek out something else that would prove to be more entertaining and entirely more intellectually stimulating.

score /10

PlaceboOverdose 15 December 2004

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0979102/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部