View: 56|Reply: 0

It's only TV......... but I like it

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 06:05:17 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
score /10

One Tree Hill is a good show.......... and what we must not fail to remember is it is just that - a show! When watching a show like this (whether it's the OC, Smallville or Gilmore Girls etc) it is important not to become too bogged down with notions of realism and how old the actors are - of course it isn't real, it's TV.... as in made up! TV is a way to extract yourself from your life for an hour or so, kick back and watch someone else's sufferings, stresses or joy rather than feel your own. One Tree Hill has all these things and more. It deals with everyday issues such as drugs, drink, sex, love, marriage, parenthood (teenage, adoption, single parenthood - it's got it all covered) and less frequent issues, such as shootings. The fact is, that all these things (with the possible exception of shootings) happen everyday - I have encountered all these things during my time as a teenager. However, not all these things have been a particular problem for me, with some of them I have just watched them happen and I have of course not faced them once a week, on Thursdays at nine on E4. With One Tree Hill, the writers have to make sure all the serious everyday issues are covered between six people, and it has to be done once a week for an hour - of course these people's lives are going to be over the top, dramatic and slightly unreal. However, I think the most important thing to remember is that the issues are real. For me, One Tree Hill works because the writers do ensure that the more serious issues are interspersed with less serious ones....... during the Lucas and Brooke storyline following Chris, Brooke's more dramatic scenes were spread out with the 'Clothes over Bros' storyline. And although Dan potentially winning Mayor was a bad thing, the 'War of the Roses' (Michael Douglas) scenario that took part between Deb and Dan was simply hilarious.

For me, One Tree Hill is an opportunity to kick back and see how other teenagers live their lives, facing things that I have come across (and okay, their played by highly mature twentysomethings but come on..... would you rather watch Daniel Radcliffe on your screens for an hour). The show is funny, sad, serious and light and this is what I want to get out of a show. And the actors aren't bad to look at either! So come on...... kick back, don't be too critical and try to enjoy an hour once a week of a TV programme which is very good. If you do that and you still don't like it then fine, everyone's tastes are different. Just don't go into it expecting something like 'A Beautiful Mind' or 'Brokeback Mountain' (it is WB's after all...!), or you will be disappointed! I think One Tree Hill is great, and as said above 'It's only TV (as in made up), but I like it'

whentimesarehardeatdinosaur 4 March 2006

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1306248/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部