View: 74|Reply: 0

I was surprised at how much I didn't like this

[Copy link]
1-11-2020 11:29:02 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I went into this reboot totally ready for a new take, and then... by the end of episode 3 it was clear to me that "the return" was not enjoyable, to the extent that I found it odd that nobody in the relatively large creative team came forward to say, "hey,this isn't working."

I think maybe the biggest problem with this reboot is that it tries too hard in every respect. The jokes are too many, the script too deliberate, and the editing just rams it all together. There is very little, if anything, about this reboot that has an off-the-cuff feel, and this self-awareness is actually annoying. This might sound strange, but it's like a Broadway play where the actors aren't actually funny, they are ACTING at being funny. The same goes for the scripts... it all lacks a sense of authenticity in the humor and feels contrived, even when the jokes work.

The next problem is the dynamics of the group. It's often hard to tell who is saying what. And where the jokes are often piled on top of each other, there is no sense of unique characterization, let alone chemistry.

The writing isn't terrible, but it seems to be written by people who might be funny in other situations, yet are not cut out for this type of observational snarky-ness.

I was truly ready for a new MST3k adventure, but this felt like a misfire. In hindsight, I think the best option would have been to either use a different creative team altogether, with people who have been shown to thrive at impromptu observations, or just bring back the original cast and crew. All in all, I really think this turned out to be an inorganic and unmemorable recipe.

score 3/10

ericjcant-1 18 July 2017

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3757649/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部