View: 57|Reply: 0

Who weeps for a Cylon?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
16-10-2020 00:26:04 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
After reviewing the entire first season of Caprica I felt like washing my eyes out with bleach. This was the series that took the crown of Battlestar Galactica and threw it as far down into the mud as it could. Season one is so slow moving and painful to watch that not only has Oxford dictionary used it as an example for the word plodding but it's been rumoured that the Allied forces in Afghanistan are using it to compel Taliban insurgents to talk.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like this show. I wanted to love it. But then I watched it. From the first painful episode to the last dreadful minute where climax somehow became climin.

The franchise seems to be creatively bankrupt. The characters little more than mouthpieces used to string out stale clichés to their breaking point. The familial relationships aren't even ones of convenience. You just can't care about any of these people. Caprica doesn't develop characters or even use them to advance a plot. They are little more than meat puppets jerking grotesquely for no reason whatsoever.

Even the Ceylon has nothing to do. I would've given the writers some credit if they came close to exploring the complexities of artificial life or even if they gave us a washed and faded version of Frankenstein but instead they give us a teenage girl brooding in a robot.

The video game world which seems central to this wandering and meandering series is frankly unbelievable. One of the characters, stuck in the game, gives us a glimmer that there may be something interesting to this series but her story is lost in the greater grotesquery.

I hope the series turns around and becomes something great as Babylon 5 did. I hope it even becomes watchable. But I'm a realist. This series seems destined, if it's lucky, to one day reach mediocrity then fade into a footnote.

score 1/10

TanQ 13 July 2010

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2278602/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部