View: 88|Reply: 0

The most entertaining show of 2015.

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 10:40:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
One Punch Man was originally a Japanese web-comic created by ONE, which was adapted into manga format by Yusuke Murata and now, in 2015, into an anime created by Madhouse. It follows the adventures of Saitama - a man who used to enjoy being a superhero as a hobby, until he was plagued by unbelievable power; allowing him to defeat any opponent in just one punch. Let me begin by saying that this is my first online review and nothing but the feeling of total ecstasy I found myself in after completing the first season of One Punch Man compelled me to write this piece.

The amount of hype shrouding this show is something I was unaware of when I first viewed it after being shown it by a friend; but looking back I find it impossible to argue any point other than that One Punch Man deserves all of the acclaim that it has received. At the time of my first viewing the show had already reached its eighth episode and I can safely say that watching all eight episodes in a row was one of the most entertaining sittings of television I've ever experienced (I've now watched all twelve and can confirm that the show only gets better). In my opinion, the show is perfect because it knows exactly what it is - and embraces that fact brilliantly. It is incredibly fast paced, action-packed and funny, whilst still managing to develop it's main protagonist to a point where, for me, it was impossible not to love Saitama.

When praising the show you have to begin with the animation, which is impeccable. The fight scenes look aesthetically beautiful and the landscapes appear full and perfectly detailed whilst seamlessly blending countless different animation styles together. It was however the pacing of the show that encapsulated me entirely. Although I do enjoy anime I would not call myself the greatest fan of the genre by any stretch of the imagination and even some of my favourite anime shows I found to be very drawn out at points (Hunter X Hunter and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood being examples). One Punch Man drew me in from the get go because it began at full throttle and never even showed signs of slowing down. To me, the show seemed to know exactly what a fan of anime wanted to see and displayed it perfectly in each episode. Each episode acts as a deconstruction of the typical anime set-up, parodying the use of filler episodes by removing any living trace of even the idea of filler taking place. This doesn't mean that Saitama is the only developed character in the show, the use of side characters to forward the plot is masterfully done. A special mention has to go to Genos - Saitama's cyborg sidekick seeking to learn the secrets to his master's power; I found the character very likable and was excited every time he fought an opponent in the show due to his awesome design.

The main criticisms of the show I've seen online is that the idea of Saitama defeating any enemy with a single punch is very limited, or that there is no development in his ability. Firstly, there is no doubt that the show is aware of the stupidity of its concept, but rather than hold this against itself, uses this to create some of the best humour I've seen not only in anime, but in Western cartoons too. In terms of the development of Saitama as a character, the show plays wonderfully on the fact that most animes begin with a weaker character whom after defeating enemies across a journey eventually reaches his peak, creating a perfect parody of this concept with our impossibly powerful protagonist. The depth and of Saitama's character for me is the show's finest strength, I even found myself relating to him at points far more than I ever expected to. Saitama's passion and desperation to find a worthy opponent and once again find enjoyment in his hobby and his search for what it means to truly be human, are aspects of the show that add a layer of depth that many other shows strive for.

Before watching One Punch Man I had never read a manga before, but instantly after finishing the final episode of the first series I downloaded Manga Rock and read the entire One Punch Man manga through to its current chapter in one sitting. This alone tells me that One Punch Man is not only an amazing anime, but an inspiring story that plays on the tropes of it's genre perfectly. If the second season of One Punch Man follows the manga as closely as the first, then I can't wait to see what Madhouse have to offer for the next chapters.

Overall, I have to rate One Punch Man 10/10 because for me the show identified any issue that I've ever had with an anime and either eradicated it totally, or span it around into hilarious ironic humour. A special mention has to go from me to Yusuke Murata as when I looked at the manga I couldn't believe that frame for frame it looked even better than the outrageously beautiful anime. If you're not a fan of anime or manga I strongly suggest you try out One Punch Man because it truly deserves the hype it has received. I recommend this show to any person who is a fan of anime, action, comedy, cartoons and generally great television. Roll on season two!

score 10/10

jackcollis11-254-878845 30 December 2015

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3384352/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部