View: 53|Reply: 0

More of the same

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 10:14:41 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Unfortunately, I don't have many good things to say about Summer Camp Island. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of episodes, but it didn't take much for me to determine that this show would not be a keeper on my watchlist.

The main problem I think this show has is that it's more of the same. There have already been a lot of children shows about summer camp (Bunk'd, Camp Lakebottom, some Total Drama seasons, the upcoming Kamp Coral). In fact, there's already been a show about summer camp with anthropomorphized animals on the SAME CHANNEL (Camp Lazlo, anyone?) Because of this fact, the show feels rather unoriginal. It does try and differentiate itself by adding a magical element, but that's a whole other issue. The magic in this show is too random. You have your normal mythical creatures like unicorns, but then you have stuff that's totally weird and doesn't make a lick of sense. There are faces on everything, and I'm not sure why. I feel like the writers on the show just said, "let's make a show about summer camp, but we'll add MAGIC to it!" without taking the time to establish some universal rules. Any kind of magical thing can happen in this show, no matter how bizarre it is. That kind of idea might work well on a surreal Adult Swim cartoon, but on a laid-back children's series, it's more jarring than it is cool.

I will say that I appreciate the unique art style, and it looks ten times better here than it did in the pilot. However, it's still rather ugly in some places, and it is odd seeing the anthropomorphized animals...not really looking like animals. An elephant having a short trunk doesn't seem right design-wise. Also, Hedgehog does not look female at all. At least draw some eyelashes on her!

While the show can offer some slivers of creativity and have some chuckle worthy lines, overall, it's nothing to scream at and just another boring slice-of-life show on Cartoon Network, a channel that is already filled to the brink with this repetitive genre.

score 4/10

TheBLTSandwich 11 August 2019

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw5053713/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部