View: 67|Reply: 0

Discover Buffy

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 07:01:50 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
While there are so many shows that I like to binge my real obsession happens to be Buffy. I have to admit that while it originally aired I was never much of a fan. Sure I caught 1 or 2 episodes here and there early on, but never really got hooked. To be honest, at the time I would have been ashamed to admit to watching it because of the title alone. Then along came Serenity/Firefly which got me hooked on Whedon, so that I eventually got back around to Buffy. My original impression had been, "Corny show about a hot girl (with humorous one-liners) that kills vampires. Thanks, but no thanks". Now fueled with the knowledge that Whedon had created 'Buffy,' I decided to go out on a limb and give a serious try.

For me the first season was OK, nothing really worth getting too excited about. Didn't think the show was anywhere near as great as I'd heard. The "I'm only 16 years old" scene in the season finale of "Prophecy Girl" (1x12), was the first glimmer that showed that this series could go somewhere more personal and tell actual important stories. Wouldn't normally have bothered watching more, however, I had heard/read that it did get significantly better in S2. So went ahead and continued the series.

While there were a handful of episodes that were pretty entertaining in the first half of S2, nothing really struck me as noteworthy. I was beginning to really get worried I'd wasted my time on this. Then along came "Surprise" (2x13) and "Innocence" (2x14), a two-part episode. This is the first time the show had made a serious impression on me. I loved what I saw but was concerned that the whole Angel situation would get resolved too hastily and there would be no real consequences for Buffy not being ready to do the deed (so to speak) at the end of "Innocence" (2x14). But then "Passion" (2x17) came along to erase all my fears and stupefy me in the process. I had been tearing through these episodes pretty quickly, but this episode left me shocked and numb. Even with that there were a couple of letdowns, episode-wise. Then you come to the season finale, the "Becoming" duology. After watching those I was quite literally stunned. It is powerful, meaningful, gut-wrenching, and yet, still humorous (scene with Joyce and Spike). I had never thought TV could ever be this good. There were later seasons that I liked just as much if not more, but this one will forever hold a special place since it's the one that made a true fan out of me.

This is also a season of firsts for Buffy (first love, first loss, etc.) and we the viewers are there with her. This journey that she experiences is linear and we can only only experience it for the first time "the" first time we watch it. That's what makes the season 2 finale such a profound heart wrenching experience that resonates so deeply. There is no going back from here for our beloved little Slayer, only forward. This makes the ending even more poignant than ever, as if *that* was necessary. For me, in some respects, her leaving town is necessary for Buffy, it's her leaving her childhood behind. Yes, there so many other factors at work here, and yes I know that is an oversimplification, but just yet another layer to her exiting Sunnydale.

Throughout all seven seasons of 'Buffy' the characters continue to change, evolve, and cover new ground. Every season felt new and fresh and had a unique tone to it. I love all the seasons because the writing managed to stay consistently high for the entire duration of the series. "Buffy" is a uniquely amazing television series, one that actually seems to get better every time I watch it. Thankfully the show isn't a bore to watch and is instead endless fun. When I'm not feeling well and need a good laugh, I generally go to Buffy to cheer me up. When I'm in the mood to be deeply affected by something, I watch Buffy to give me a tear in my eye. When I'm in the mood for entertainment, I watch Buffy. This show is able to deliver on all these qualities and so much more. This is what the show means to me. Now go (re)watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and find out what it means to you.

"You think you know... what's to come... what you are. You haven't even begun." -"Restless" (4x22)

score 10/10

Al_H_one 22 November 2018

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4472284/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部