View: 63|Reply: 0

Well, at least the writing is scandalous....

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 06:44:55 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'd heard about this series and decided to give it a try.

As a fan of Damages, Suits, The Good Wife, I like legal dramas. Some, or course, are better written and acted than others. Some require a low-level suspension of disbelief at times for the sake of a story - but then, with a bit of luck and effort, only for a story well told. All of the other legal dramas have characters with which I can say I've had some degree of empathy and sympathy for. I can like them and believe in them.

But OMG. Scandal is so very, very bad.

I confess to only watching one episode... But one was almost too much. I'll try not to spoil anything for anyone who wants to give it a go... But honestly, there's not enough to spoil.

The main character, Olivia Pope is meant to be a strong, determined woman. But she's played like a cartoon, and depressingly seems more concerned about posing for the camera in perfect clothes, hair and make-up than displaying any depth of character.

All that this allegedly mythologically successful and inspirational troubleshooter talks about is 'following her gut', which is a trope that we hear repeated over-and-over during the first episode (ad nauseam) ostensibly conveying that she relies on some sort of feminine intuition rather than masculine logic, determination and intellect to solve problems. Yet, despite success and accolades from her sycophantic staff, she crumples in the arms of her love interest (a powerful man, no less), - demonstrating not that she's human, but that she's just a quivering little woman after all.

I would watch Brady Bunch re-runs before trying this again.

Save yourselves!

score 1/10

antelope-03202 26 April 2015

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3227255/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部