View: 60|Reply: 0

Hardly watchable to fans who enjoyed the intelligence and wit of Season One.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 05:53:16 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
score 2/10

I watch a fair amount of TV and think that I have fairly selective tastes in shows, but Suits was one of my favorite recently produced shows. The first season was bold, smart, and very polished. This is one show that definitely deserves HD. Harvey Specter was by far one of the best fictional lawyers out there. One of the best parts of the show was the focus on the "case of the week" idea, and all the clever dialog and intricate legal drama that came with it. The third episode with the boardroom battle over control of the car company was a kind of 'everyday-epic.' Another highlight was the inclusion of three very smart female characters: Donna, Rachel, and Jessica. Most notably, the primary characters had a powerful and flawless way about them that justified their "it's not about caring its about winning" attitude.

Sadly, the subsequent seasons have quickly degenerated. The smart female characters were transformed into gossipy shrews who now appear on screen just to spark inter-office drama and occasionally look good. Gone is the intricate legal maneuvering (ie crown jewel defense), replaced only with on-screen commentary on supposedly brilliant off-screen meetings or court appearances we never get to see. The witty banter has been dulled by a sheer lack of originality, such that the characters seemingly make the exact same jokes, only with different pop culture references. Worst of all, the writers (who must be high off the first season's success or the weed they purchased with the money from it) have turned all the powerful characters (Harvey, Jessica... etc) into flawed shells of former characters hardly fit for big firm life. This done of course to pander to the "average viewer" who tunes in to follow the lawyer version of days of our lives with pretty girls lusting after handsome men. Based on the level infighting in the firm, its a wonder how they log any billable hours at all. The only saving grace of Season 2 was Louis Litt's mostly solid character development.

The end of the second season allowed the show to reach a new low by introducing a British takeover of the firm with a host of odd new British characters (ie Louis's big eared British counterpart) thrust into the show just for simplistic comical value, which I'm sure a select group of slack-jawed simple viewers might thoroughly enjoy.

I write this review in the hope that some executive, writer or actor on the show might happen upon it, realize that their show is rapidly in decline and right the ship before even loyal viewers like myself simply tune out all together. The show achieved a lot in Season 1, but much of the acclaim was lost by way of lazy writing and lack of imagination.

Lastly, its a law show, you'd think they would cover the legal side a bit more than as a basis for Donna to bang a Brit or Rachel's dad to meet Mike.

UPDATE: This show has devolved to nothing more that a nicely filmed soap opera that has little connection to legal reality nor to intelligent discourse of any kind. I just removed it from my DVR.

Mr_Blond23 15 August 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2851708/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部