View: 67|Reply: 0

Cop Shows: Prepare to be Mocked!

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 05:42:32 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
score 9/10

Equal parts Mockumentary-style Comedy   Cop Show = A perfect parody of detective shows. The star detective (played by Samberg) winningly carries the lead with charm (if not grace), but as part of a true ensemble cast, carefully crafted iconic roles played well, and all won me over in the first episode. The surprisingly gay new police chief is a riot for how he takes his zany team in stride, breaking character to enjoy their antics, while maintaining a strict iron-faced facade. Rosa, in particular, stands out as 'scary cop' - Stephanie Beatriz will be a breakout star with this role - you can't get enough of her...and if she and Clumsy Mousy Charles get together or even just continue to dance around it, they'll be the best, most hilarious parody of a Will They/Won't They ever!

The producers claim to be channeling Barney Miller - a far-fetched chutzpadik claim for people who did NOT produce THAT 70s Show, because rarely have current television producers captured that classic 70s overt brand of comedy, but Brooklyn Nine-Nine has indeed! There's a bit of a Naked Gun feel to it as well, what with the vaguely idiotic running gags and horseplay, but Jake Peralta is sharper (and more competitive) than Frank Drebin - leaving Charles to play the fool for him. When Peralta solves crime, it's not accidental - but neither can you take it very seriously, as even the arrest is more of an SNL skit than a semblance of a cop show arrest. I watched the pilot more out of curiosity (and Samberg fan-girl-ing) then out of any hope I would add this to my roster, but wonder of wonders, this thing actually works! Creative and original "detective" comedy - I'll be watching.

I'd recommend this to BOTH people who can't stand cop/detective shows and just want to look down their nose whilst laughing at them, AND to people who love cop/detective shows, so they can learn just how stereotypical, cliché and canned their favorites are.

spasticfreakshow 19 September 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2875166/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部