View: 108|Reply: 0

Plank alert

[Copy link]
28-1-2021 22:07:05 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have now watched 5 episodes of The Paradise and find myself hooked in, and irritated, in equal measure. Love the pantomime villain, Mr. Jonas and the smooth but threatening Lord Glendenning. Katherine Glendenning, quick-witted, manipulative, but never quite decisive enough to stick to her choices, is also proving to be an interesting character. But oh dear - Mr. Moray seems to have studied at the Gordon Ramsay school of acting, with ** every other ** word studded ** with pregnant ** pauses ... This, coupled with an apparent inability to look at anyone he is speaking to, makes his performance so wooden and laughable he is reduced to a good-looking plank dressed in nice clothes. How he ever managed to find the shop each morning is a mystery, let alone make a success of running it. His right-hand man is a younger, right-on version of Gordon Brown, concerned more with equal opportunities for the staff than turning a profit. Most of the characters are fairly ludicrous, although the toffs are making a better job of believability than the staff. A special mention to Sarah Lancashire as Miss Audrey, a crude caricature in the first episode that has now settled nicely into a cross between Hyacinth Bucket and Lady Grantham. The few good performances only serve to highlight the more numerous bad ones, and among them I include Joanna Vanderham as Denise, who plays every scene with either a trembling lip, smug conceit or a jolly hockeysticks grin. I shall keep on watching but god knows why.

score 5/10

chris-bushwacker 4 November 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2899730/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部