View: 101|Reply: 0

I think Marion Zimmer Bradley should be glad she did not live to see this

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-1-2021 00:49:11 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
It was to my great delight that I saw that someone was making a movie from one of my favorite books.  I held out great hope that it would do it justice.

Alas I was so completely let down.  How it is possible to say that that thing was "the Mists of Avalon" based on Ms. Bradley's beautiful book is beyond my comprehension. I cannot imagine a worse adaptation of any book to screen.  The story cannot be told in 4 hours, the book being 876 pages. Now I know, there is no way that you can get all of a book on screen, ( I can dream ) but at least they could have remained faithful to the characters and the flow of events.

I say this to anyone who loved the book and for some reason did not see this first time around on TNT.  Spare  yourself the agony and frustration: don't watch it.  It's painful.  Keep the movie you have played in your head as you read the book as your own.  I could not bring myself to watch the entire second part.  It strayed immediately from anything recognizable as MZB's book.

To her credit though, Julianna Margulies did do a great job with what she was given. I think I can say she is the face of Morgaine. As for the rest of them, I think they were sadly miscast.  Even Angelica Huston who I think I have liked in almost everything I have seen her in.  She was just not Viviane.

I can say one nice though. It was pretty.

Unfortunately it, in the end, became like every other tale of Arthur. Leaving out ALL the good bits.  They should have left well enough alone. I would like to speak of all that was ruined, but that would spoil things for those who might watch in future.  Just be warned.

That is my rant

Thus Ends The Tirade

score 1/10

Flux-4 16 July 2001

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0725516/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部