View: 149|Reply: 0

A HORRIBLE throw-back to the worst 1960s US TV-formulas

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-1-2021 03:45:11 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
My wife and I were joking about this bad show last night and how American pop culture has so diminished the expectations of it's audience, some of the worst ideas are praised, simply because some greedy (and barely creative) decision-maker had the audacity to air such rubbish in the first place.

I decided to look it up here, this morning.

When I first saw this excuse for a regular series, I had just tuned in on the opening pilot and credits, and presumed it was a send-up of any 50s or 60s sitcom, contained within some new comedy or variety show. With its terrible acting, annoying characters, sloppy writing, inept direction, annoying theme-song, annoying incidental music, and unnaturally timed canned laugh-track. This show was one of those serious sci-fi depictions of bad entertainment in the "future". Occasionally, over several seasons, in sick perversion, I watched a few more, to see if it would get any better. It got worse and even more predictable than the pilot I stumbled upon.

It just had to be a cosmic-joke, right? It was, wasn't it????

I was incredibly shocked that this garbage-dump made it to TV. But even at the time, I realized FOX was still looking for an identity for itself. Too bad they tried to find one in this show. Because none of these supposedly human characters had barely more personality than the android Vicki. They only thing any of them had up on the android's personality deficiencies, they were all snide, conniving, shallow and manipulative.

All of the actors had that annoying 30-second appeal people have in television commercials. No surprise, since I remember all of these "actors" from previous annoying and intelligence-mocking TV ads.

Anyone that liked this show was definitely a casualty of American media manipulation, dumbing down of their expectations and fooling themselves. If anyone can say, deep down, honestly, this was good, they needed to get out more in the 1980s.

Or at least turn off the TV for a few weeks.

score /10

Mimi-16 25 October 2002

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0217661/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部