View: 108|Reply: 0

Accents Galore

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
10-1-2021 11:15:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As an Italian American with deep roots still tied to Rome, I find this show a disgrace to the history of the holy city.

Where to begin? First of all, pick an accent and stick with it. Lucrezia has a German accent, Juan is French, Cesare is British and Rodrigo is American? Are you kidding me? This is absurd. I would rather listen to an actor attempt a terrible imitation of a historically accurate accent than just sound like an idiot.

I understand that Showtime's version of the Borgias has a much larger budget with the ability to hire more profound talent, but I think the budget has nothing to do with this mess of a show. Jeremy Irons is a legend and does not simply do a good job portraying Rodrigo Borgia, but he becomes the man in the flesh. John Doman reads lines meant for a much more elegant tongue than his American accent allows. It's cringe-worthy at best to have to suffer through one of his monologues.

Mark Ryder makes it difficult to like Cesare (though maybe Cesare is not meant to be 'liked'). However, on Showtime's version Francois Arnold makes the audience both hate, pity and love Cesare all at once - a feat Mark Ryder could never accomplish. Stanley Weber lacks the ability to portray Juan as a wild, hotheaded coward as history tells. His character simply fades into the background like a wallflower. I would also have to go as far as to say Marta Gastini's portrayal as Guilia Farnese is the only actor that lives up to their character.

Don't even get me started on the historical inaccuracy of the show. If you think showing full frontal public nudity and gore makes this more historically accurate then you need to watch Showtime's The Borgias - then you will see what truly should make a show accurate.

In summation, if you want to watch a great period drama series about medieval corruption in the papacy just watch Showtime's The Borgias. You will only be disappointed watching Borgia.

score 3/10

molda2 31 March 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2775393/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部