View: 114|Reply: 0

Among the best period dramas

[Copy link]
10-1-2021 11:15:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I started watching it with zero expectations, at first I found it gloomy and dragged but in the end of the first season I found myself absolutely stuck to the screen.

English is not my first language, I saw the dubbed version, so the problem of accents (that's why English-speakers write that the drama is badly directed or badly acted) doesn't disturb me. If you are irritated by the accents you'd learn that the real Renaissance Rome had a mix of various Italian dialects and all Europe's accents.

I think that the first 3 or 4 episodes are slow, cause it is only the introduction into the whole great story with many subplots. But then the pace grows and the next episodes are quite suspenseful. Second season with its Italian locations looks more beautiful and expensive then the first one (which was shoot in the Czech Republic instead of Italy).

Like many other historic shows it is a fusion of real facts and fiction but a very clever fusion. Tom Fontana (unlike of most of scriptwriters) really read everything on the Borgia topic, he doesn't oversimplify the politics and doesn't import all the 21st century interpretations into the medieval world.
But the issue is not only that this drama is quite historically accurate (where Rodrigo is an experienced and capable politician, Cesare is full of political ambition and cruel, Lucrezia is known as the virtuous duchess and patroness of art etc.). I like that the characters look like real developing people, multi-layered and believable, neither white nor black but in fact grey. Many twists are unexpected, even for those who is aware of the Renaissance history, no one plotline is forgotten in the end.

Well, if you a shipper, want an incest story with luxurious costumes and if you hate politics - this show is not for you, try other Borgia show.
This one demands some knowledge of history or at least attention to the plot when watching. But if you want a period drama with clever and enthralling story, give it a chance.

score 10/10

sakharovaav 6 November 2018

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4441806/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部