View: 111|Reply: 0

PRETTY GOOD + Charming scene-stealer

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
10-1-2021 11:14:03 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I discovered this 2017 K-Drama by accident & am glad I did.
A key factor was seeing Chae Soo Bin in the credits, & this was the show she did before the wonderful "I'm Not A Robot".
The story here centres on the world of scooter riders in Seoul & the meals they deliver. Specifically, a small restaurant where the main rider is ( unusually ) a female called Dan Ah ( CSB ). She's a tough, cynical young woman who is diligently focussed on saving money & emigrating away from Korea ( or "Hell Joseon" as she calls it ). Into her life comes innocent/idealistic new delivery recruit Kang Soo ( Go Kyung Pyo in his first lead series role ). Also important is rich playboy Jin Kyu ( Kim Seon Ho ) & black-sheep rich girl Ji Yoon ( Go Won Hee ) rounding out the main group. And eager to destroy the small eateries in the area is an evil corporate competitor.
So it isn't very hard to guess the basic outcomes, be they personal or business, yet the script is well-written ( apart from an annoying little lapse regarding the apocalyptic final ep & a villain without much personality ) and is pleasingly thoughtful most of the time. The ending is a major beneficiary of this approach & all four relationships in the series are also handled well. Of course, a K-Drama requires tragedy/tears & we get them, plus there's an undercurrent of pessimism which definitely recalls the tone of "Parasite". But don't worry, there's plentiful humour too & even a few bits of Japanese-style cuteness.
A large cast are typically accomplished & the leads have good chemistry. I do want to single out Go Won Hee, though, for special praise : she steals most scenes she's in & is a fun, engaging presence throughout ( a scene where she challenges Dan Ah to a fight is especially memorable ).
As to the title, I would've preferred "We Deliver !". Or an apparent alternative is "Best Deliveryman". You decide.

score 8/10

lyntonadam 1 December 2020

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw6325900/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部