View: 100|Reply: 0

Allegedly, it's got better over the years.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
3-1-2021 11:22:06 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I spent three months living in the East End of London in the latter half of 1987, when the show had been on the air for almost two years. It was considered a running joke there.

Why? Because it had an all-white cast. Every cast member and extra in the first couple of years was white.

The street where I lived was a long one, with over 800 houses, and to the best of my knowledge I was one of only three or four white faces living on that street. We were on the corner of the Indian and Turkish "quarters", and even if you excluded those two races the Asians and Afro-Caribbeans outnumbered the white people twenty-to-one. Plus, of course, of the very few white people who *did* live in the area, the vast majority were Scots like me - a "Cockney" accent was never heard.

That wasn't a racist rant, just a simple statement of fact. The BBC either couldn't be bothered crossing London to do their research before writing this soap, or else they only had white actors available and decided to bluff it out.

Either way, as I say, in the East End of the time, we considered it a comedy show. :-)

score 3/10

Peet42 19 August 2007

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1714958/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部