View: 77|Reply: 0

Moé with Tanks

[Copy link]
21-12-2020 03:17:04 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
The Moe genre is something that has really gotten about every treatment under the sun. It's not a genre I'm particularly fond of because it's just too cutesy, sickly sweet, and all rather pointless. However, I am a big Second World War buff. So, here I go with "Girls & Panzer". An adorable original production from Actas, who are best known for, well, "Girls & Panzer". I have to admit I was skeptical going into this series as it involves the usual bunch of high school girls who look like they're 8 years old forming up a band of misfits into a club where they compete with a rogue's gallery of opposing schools.

The bonus here is that their sport is "tankery". Think of it as a war game, but not war itself. Tanks fire live rounds that can take out other tanks and buildings, but never seem to harm actual people. Despite several big explosions and high impact collisions, there is nary a spot of blood shed by the cast- although they at times appear to suffer mild injuries, broken eye glasses, and a lot of soot covering fires. We must remember they *are* cartoons. And this is a game. Played with tanks. Real tanks.

When I say real tanks, I mean they really went out of their way to add as much realism as possible. The descriptions and designs of these vehicles are true to history. While most are CG produced, it fits fairly seamlessly with the hand drawn animation of the characters, producing some wonderful combat scenes with the most impressive sound effects I've heard in quite some time from an Anime. If you didn't know better, you'd think you were watching a WW2 film with all the quality sound editing and mixing going on. Masterful work! Added into this mix is a wonderful soundtrack that sounds like something Elmer Bernstein would have written along with ballads from other nations. I particularly enjoyed "Battle Hymn of the Republic" for the American tanks and "Panzerlied" for the German ones.

I guess in all this fuss over the accuracy of the tanks and songs I forgot about the plot. It's not a new one, a new student with a past must lead a band of oddballs and misfits to glory in a tankery tournament to save the school. Along the way they grow as a team, as people, and learn the value of friendship. I don't recall many of the characters names, despite decent attempts to give them depth. It's not really a big deal, because this was not going to be a character driven show. This is literally a TANK driven show. Neither the Japanese or English voice cast left much of an impression, as there isn't much dialogue to shine with, so you can go either way when it comes to Sub or Dub.

I want to mention this however- despite the Panzer being given top billing and center stage in this show, NO attempts are made to glorify Nazi Germany or war itself. Names of various legends of tank warfare- Rommel, Guderian, and Wittmann- are mentioned. They are recognized as pioneers and innovators in armored warfare. A status they hold to this day, despite wearing the uniform and serving under the flag of an army of darkness.

Attention to detail and production values save this from just being an adorable little show about cute girls in tanks. It's a good bit of fun. 7/10. Check it out. Cheers!

score 7/10

jon_carlson-28953 1 May 2020

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw5695081/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部