View: 111|Reply: 0

What Makes a Monster and What Makes a Man?

[Copy link]
10-11-2020 00:07:09 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
This is a question asked by so many, and answered so brilliantly by the BBC Three version of Being Human. I have seen both versions, and the original has it all in my opinion. It breaks my heart that not enough people have seen it.

I am a sucker for a good supernatural drama, and Being Human is the best one that I have ever seen. At the heart of it all are two trios of a vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost. In the first three series it's Annie, George, and Mitchell. In the last one it's Hal, Tom, and Alex. I know some people recommend only watching the first three series, but I couldn't disagree more. Series four is probably my favorite, and Hal and Tom's chemistry is amazing. Don't do yourself a disservice. Watch all five.

I think a lot of vampire/supernatural dramas make the whole story about sex and gore and teenage drama. My favorite thing about Being Human is it really doesn't question what it takes to make a monster, but instead challenges the audience to think about what makes a man. Every internal problem our characters face is an allegory for a very common issue. Annie is agoraphobic, George has anger management issues, and Mitchell is a sex addict.The characters face relate able problems and interact with each other in a very relate able way.

The show is gory, has some nudity, there's some language, and it's definitely not for young viewers and the faint of heart. But the comedy is golden and perfectly timed, the drama is believable and enjoyable, and at the heart of it all are three people with their own issues who are just trying to make sense of the world around them, something anyone can understand.

Does it have flaws? of course, any show does. There are some weaker episodes, and the effects are a little lackluster, but it all gives it a sort of b-movie feel that one can't help but enjoy.

So give this little show a chance. It packs a punch.

score 10/10

hallowfanatic 26 June 2019

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4961064/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部