View: 94|Reply: 0

Cop-Out

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-11-2020 11:59:13 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
"Hunter" was a TV series so predictable, so banal, so obvious that you've already seen every episode. It isn't hard to imagine the meetings that went into the creation of this show: "How about a Dirty Harry for the small-screen... with a beautiful babe as his partner?" "Works for me." When pro-football player Fred Dryer retired and took up a career in acting, he displayed a remarkable gift, rare for even lifelong professional actors... he had a flare for comedy. He was so funny, in fact, that he came *this* close to getting the role of Sam Malone in Cheers... even when it went to Ted Danson the producers had Dryer on numerous times in guest-appearances that became classics. The bold move for him and his agent would have been to find or create a TV series that put his talents to use, a show that highlighted his tough-guy/teddy-bear persona. Instead Fred copped out.

"Hunter" was the cop show that defined the whole genre of bad 80's cop-shows... a rebel detective that exacts his own brand of justice, a loose cannon who fights with the chief and carries a gun so big it belongs on a battleship. Dryer allowed his uncanny resemblance to Clint Eastwood to be exploited in a mindless show that can best be described as "filler." See him squint and fire a warning shot... watch him cuff a street punk so he can get a lead on who killed a hooker... Wasted was a man capable of delivering a punchline, playing a romantic lead, or exposing the sensitivity beneath the rough exterior. Instead we get a walking cliché, complete with his own "Make-my-day" catchphrase: "Works for me."

Stepfanie Kramer, a beautiful cream-puff of a girl, portrays Hunter's partner Dee Dee. The woman was so gorgeous, so soft, so feminine, that it was often comical watching her play a police officer... even when she was shooting at bad guys you had an irresistible urge to hug her. Kramer evidently tried to counter her natural squishiness by POINTING at things when she was trying to express anger or determination. She pointed at suspects, fellow officers, guns... we still loved her.

This is not to say the show itself is terrible. Dryer is good in the lead, but only good. He shares a wonderful chemistry with the stunning Kramer, and most episodes are decent and watchable. A great TV show, however, needs more than a passing grade. I'm only passionate about Hunter because I feel Fred Dryer was capable of so much more... instead of a classic sitcom that challenged a gifted actor (or even a cop show that redefined the genre), we're stuck with seven seasons of sirens, silencers and shootouts. Most people don't even remember the show or the actors, and there's a reason for that. "Hunter" spoiled the career of Fred Dryer, and that does not work for me.

score /10

Bolesroor 26 April 2005

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1068300/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部