View: 78|Reply: 0

For pop TV, it's okay.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-10-2020 13:47:03 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I, like the other reviewer, am a BHS graduate. I was somewhat friends with Liz before all this happened and was one of her former boyfriend's (they had a weird relationship) close friends. I was even on the show in a segment that didn't make it.

Anyway, I have struggled balancing my opinion of the show, with how they portray my home town, with how I view Burleson. Sure, it's MTV. Sure, Burleson IS was formerly a major hick town. Sure, we have most of the major outlets and are on the edge of Fort Worth. After weighing all of these factors (and more) I have come to a conclusion.

You have to treat it like a pop culture fad. It's slightly entertaining, but forgettable. It's nothing new. It's not that original (Liz represents about 40% of the school). But, it's a laugh. It has bright colors. It has very indie music. But, in the end, it won't be remembered past it's 2nd season.

Maybe it prepares young kids how to 'be yourself', or, how to 'deal' with high school. I respect that and more power to them. But, you have to look at it like any Disney star. Zach Efron will turn into the Jonas brothers will turn into Justin Bieber.

As to the accusations about HOW staged it is. Well, they are all true. They marketed the show to us originally as a documentary, then reality show, then finally some sort of mockumentary weird concoction. Everyone is pretty friendly and if there's drama, it's generally you're own fault. From my point of view, most everyone was a hipster (like Liz) and we went there to learn from some of the strangest/funniest/honorable teachers ever (I would have liked to have seen them). I'm sure it was your basic high school and MLAL turns the experience into something marketable. But, they have to. They like money (which seems like something Liz would be against).

My overall mood toward this staged, over-exaggerated, quirky, occasionally funny, and wholesome show: apathetic and passive. It's the same way I view Burleson's other claim to fame, Kelly Clarkson.

I'm anxiously waiting the Pratt season where everyone is just like her.

score 5/10

camjs2001 17 July 2010

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2280804/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部