View: 117|Reply: 0

One of my all-time favorite shows

[Copy link]
18-10-2020 11:51:15 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I used to watch "Keeping Up Appearances" in England because the main character, Hyacinth Bucket (Patricia Routledge), actually reminded me of a British version of a relative of mine. (I'm not naming names!) The show isn't as well known in the States, although it does get some broadcast over the weekend on PBS.

Essentially the show is about a woman named Hyacinth who is like Patrick Bateman from "American Psycho" on a less psychopathic scale - all she worries about are the material things: social status, clothing, items, upkeep of her home, etc.

Her husband Richard (Clive Swift) puts up with all her belittlement. Swift is one of the great comedians of the 1990s for providing the performances he did in this show; he compliments it so nicely.

Routledge, known to the UK public as a drama actress, managed to provide her audience with comedy in 1990 and the result was an instant classic. Her role, Hyacinth Bucket ("Bouquet!"), shall never be forgotten.

It's also worth mentioning Jeoffrey Hughes as Hyacinth's brother-in-law, who plays a lovable slob whom Hyacinth hates.

This show will make you laugh and care for the characters. Highly recommended.

score /10

MovieAddict2016 30 September 2005

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1183320/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部