View: 85|Reply: 0

Origin of Pat Routledge's portrayal

[Copy link]
18-10-2020 11:51:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Today I woke early and caught a section of the Bette Davis movie, Watch on the Rhine made in 1943. The segment I watched did not even have Bette Davis but what struck me profoundly and immediately was the character named Fanny Farrelly played by Lucille Watson (born 27 May 1879 Québec, Canada - died 24 June 1962, New York). I don't recall ever seeing her before in any film, but, in this one, it was apparent that her portrayal of Fanny was the inspiration Patricia Routledge took for the character Hyacinth. The behavior and expressions were so similar, I first thought that it must be Patricia in this role, but I knew that it was made in 1943, so it was impossible for it to be her. I would love to see the entire movie, but, will have to wait to find it on again. Anyone who is a fan of Keep Up Appearances would get a kick out of seeing this film just to see this woman! The only difference was that Fanny had no obsession with how things "appeared" to other people. But the facial expressions and even the voice are astonishingly similar to Patricia's portrayal of Hyacinth. I would love to know if anyone else has ever seen this film. Also would love to find out from Pat herself if this film inspired her, but don't know any way of contacting her.

score /10

sawznhamrs-1 1 April 2006

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1330528/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部