View: 65|Reply: 0

Boys Over Flowers intangibles makes my preference the Korean version to the better acted/made Japanese version

[Copy link]
10-7-2020 00:11:09 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Boys Over Flowers (2009, Korean Version) centers around a rich boy, Jun Pyo, who falls for poor girl, Jan Di, with plenty of obstacles in their path to love. Jun Pyo is the leader of the F4 (Flower Four), 4 rich close friends that are widely popular in the richest high school in Korea.

What I liked about the Boys Over Flowers:

a) this was first kdrama I ever watched and it will always have a special place in my heart. I was dismayed after the 1st episode with the overacting of Jan Di's family but was hooked by episode 2.

b) F4 friendship worked and I loved how they became protective and caring of Jan Di. I watched the Japanese version after I watched the Korean version. Comparisons between the two versions are inevitable.

The F4 Japanese actors are better than the F4 Korean actors with the exception of the lead male actor where I preferred Lee Min-ho. However, the Korean F4 members have intangibles that captivated me.

F4 lead Jun Pyo was charming, caring, and loyal under the sneering veneer. Lee Min- ho, in his first male lead part, carried the show and has only improved in subsequent roles (Personal Taste, City Hunter).

Ji Hoo (Kim Hyun Joong) was only initially a viable rival for Jan Di's love until she decides Jun Pyo is the one for her. His acting skills were limited but to his credit he stayed in that range and portrayed a sincere friend to both Jun Pyo and Jan Di.

Yi Jung (Kim Bum), pottery master, was adorable and had good chemistry Ga Eul (Jan Di's best friend played by Kim So Eun). His acting skills were immature but his smile took that character far. In comparison, the Japanese character Soujiro was more mature, a truth teller, but completely shied away from romance.

Finally Woo Bin (Kim Joon) completely lost the storyline lottery but had charm and chemistry with the others. In comparison, the Japanese character Akira had heart and was the glue of F4.

c) female lead Koo Hye Sun as Jan Di had undeniable chemistry with Lee Min-ho and thankfully toned down the physical acting and amped up the emotional acting as the series progressed. Her character was reticent to commit to love but once she did, her continuous sacrifices for love mattered. In comparison the Japanese character Makino was spunkier and more open about her feelings. When Jan Di believed so strongly that Jun Pyo would remember their love that she almost drowned, it was compelling.

d) the storyline is expansive (16 episodes, season 1) versus the Japanese version (9 episodes, season 1) but it works where they deviate. I preferred season 1 ending airport scene in the Japanese version (episode 9 Hana Yori Dango) and the season 2 ending beach scene in the Korean version (episode 25). The Japanese movie, an extended epilogue, Hana Yori Dango Returns, ties everything into a nice bow, where I wanted more of an epilogue in the Korean final episode 25.

e) evil mom was formidable (aka President Kang played by Lee Hye-young) and could make any character shrink back with a single raised eyebrow.

What I did not like about the show

a) Jan Di's family made me cringe, the over acting was palpable.

b) how many times did they play the theme song Almost Paradise? When they played that song during a fight scene, it was laughable.

While the Japanese version, Hana Yori Dango, was better made, better acted, and more concise than the Korean version, Boys Over Flowers has intangibles which makes me prefer it.

score 8/10

fprefect-685-281084 26 August 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2858636/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部