Author: hyperfish

Strat Affinity Refirb (picture heavy)

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Sanded the fill at the neck pocket the went ahead with the buffing. Good old T-Cut, Meguiar's and two grades of polishing sponges attached to the vari-speed drill.

After T-Cut only it's getting very close to the finish I am aiming for.

I've still got a couple of blemishes to sort out before finishing with the Meguier's
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:26:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Wow, that's looking very shiny. All your hard work is paying off now, it'll be good to see the finally finished pictures.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:26:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Nice one, it's amazing isn't it.

Really couldn't believe it when I did the final buff with the meguires. It looks okay before but afterwards you go "oh...so that's how they do it".

Looks stunning mate, hard work has paid off. Have you stuck the pickguard and neck on and got that warm fuzzy feeling yet

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Not got as far as the pick guard but tried the neck. That needed sanding at the heel so as not to chip the paint again, but all is fine now. I'm so pleased I took the time to mask the pocket properly else that would have been a mare to remove without chipping the finish.

If the touch ups buff out ok I should get the fine polishing done and start the build up at this weekend.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Did the final buffing today with Meguiers. Two minor flaws in the finish remain. They ae not obvious and I've decided to call it a day. I could keep chasing them forever at this rate, so onward.

Shielded the cavities with copper sheet.

Threaded the bridge and output jack wires.

Soldered the final connections.

Then fitted the neck. Still very snug but it went down all the way on the screws.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Fitted a single string, then off to the amp to check that everything works. I've only tested with a meter at this point. Bang on! all 7pickup combinations are working as the should with the push-pull volume pot.

Roughed in the intonation referring to the pics I took previously

Cleaned and oiled the neck before stringing.

Installed a set of 9s. Had to be Fender for this.

Tunes up and set the neck relief to Fender spec. The truss rod just needed backing of a little.

Set the action at the 12th to 1.6mm as per spec.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Next I set the intonation. I don't have a fancy tuner so I had to rely on the clip-on. Couldn't quite get the 1st string right before the saddle came into contact with the bridge screw but it's only slightly flat.

Everything is tuned and set to spec, I'll check everything everything again once things have settled.
Fastfret and polish next.

Then finally the Schaller strap buttons.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
A few shots. Back door open to try and show the finish.

Arty attempt next to the fire.

My wife loves the Daphne Blue colour.

..and finally Daphne is sat in the rack with her buddies.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:26:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Never mind putting it in the rack, you should be playing it. It's turned out really well and whatever the minor blemishes are they weren't obvious looking at the pictures; it looks gorgeous.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:34 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm going to chill for now but I'll give it some welly tomorrow.

Thanks Kelvin, and indeed, thanks to everyone for the kind comments and tips throughout this thread.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部