View: 45|Reply: 0

Style over substance with a nice, shallow script.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 10:58:29 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As with most things in life, to each their own. Nonetheless I felt a bit compelled to provide a slightly different point of view from the stream of 10's I'm seeing on IMDb so far.

I see a lot of "now this is Art!" comments. To be clear, film (even when shown on television) has been recognized as Art for generations now. Granted, this particular series is generally well executed and presents visuals that are often stunning and unique - but let's not trip over ourselves trying to hold up Love, Death & Robots as some breakthrough for the medium. And as gorgeous as it is, it's not without some really obvious flaws. The uncanny valley is still very deep with this series.

In terms of substance, this was nothing short of painful to watch. Completely predictable plot, utterly shallow dialogue, heavy handed cliches and extremely clumsy in its execution. The "twists" could be seen a mile away, and then any subsequent counter-twist felt tacked on as "gotchas" even though they were often transparent themselves. And the jokes suffered the exact same fate. Everything about the script felt like a first draft attempt.

There was also a strangely tone-deaf nature to much of the subject matter as well. The series sets up strong themes of empowerment, diversity and responsibility, only to explore those themes through extremely childish, macho narrative devices and stereotypes. It's an adolescent boy's attempt at writing about deeper issues without any greater understanding of them. Highly (and needlessly) sexualized (women only), brutally violent (because violence = power of course), and unimaginatively crass and crude (because curse words are "brutal, and "real"). I've seen some reviews actually decrying the themes as "SJW" - but interestingly, I think if you look even a tiny bit below the surface, it's more likely the opposite.

Yes, I've never seen anything quite like Love, Death & Robots before, but I still find it empty all the same. Plenty to see, nothing to take away.

score 4/10

Breravin 20 March 2019

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4733371/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部