View: 64|Reply: 0

Don't understand why it is rated so highly

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
22-11-2019 10:16:46 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Decided to watch this Netflix series because it was rated a 9.5 on IMDB. We were puzzled by the first couple of episodes and thought we must be missing something. It was hard to follow at times with scenes and characters popping up that seemed to not tie into preceding events. Yes, it is absolutely wonderful to see something out of India. Yes, Mumbai is that star of the show. Yes, the actors are great. But frankly if this was set in Detroit or LA or the suburbs of Paris I wonder if it would have been so popular because of all its other flaws.

Episode 5 was so violent and with several scenes that just didn't make a lot of sense in terms of advancing the story that we almost gave up. However, with only 3 episodes left, we'll endure it to the end and hope it doesn't get any more difficult to view.

Footnote: as I've been preparing this review, I had an email from the Economist magazine with its own review. One phrase jumps out at me: "The series strains to meet such heavy expectations". That about sums it up. Here's a second: "Viewers are left to scratch their heads." Well, we certainly did a lot of that. Worth a read if you can find it on the Economist website.

I'm amending my comments after watching the final few episodes. This just got worse and worse and both my wife and I now regret having watched it. I'm even lowering my rating from 6 to 5 as it was worse at the end that the beginning. Bottom line: it would seem if you are India or have a strong connection to India, you might enjoy this (certainly the case based on the names of the reviewers who rate it highly), if you are an international viewer, you are probably going to be disappointed and conclude as many have said that this has been grossly overrated.

score 4/10

markfranh 19 July 2018

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4244865/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部