View: 89|Reply: 0

Loved it...until Season 3

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 09:23:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I awaited the premier of Season 3 with baited breath; until I began watching. My disappointment had nothing to do with the complete change in cast. I thought Olivia Coleman, Tobias Menzies and Helena Bonham Carter picked up magnificently where Claire Foy, Matt Smith and Vanessa Kirby left off.
My disappointment was with the stodgy, uninspired scripts. With the exception of episodes 3, 9 and 10, I gritted my teeth and kept watching; just to make sure I wasn't missing anything of great importance.
While I understand the need to portray significant moments in history, I believe the writers missed the mark. I can't speak for all, but this viewer is more interested in the back story of the RF. They skipped over the pregnancy and birth of Prince Edward entirely and picked up the storyline when Andrew and Edward were young boys. They did try to give substance to the relationship between Prince Charles and Princess Anne, which provided some of the more interesting material in Season 3, (Anne's alleged role in the Charles, Camilla and Andrew Parker Bowles relationships).
I also enjoyed watching the interaction between the Queen and PM Harold Wilson. The scene when he disclosed his personal preferences and behaviors vs. those of the public's perception of him as the leader of the Labour Party and how he and the Queen were in similar positions, per se.
While episode 3 was particularly emotional, it took until episodes 9 and 10 to really get moving and be as entertaining and engaging as Seasons 1 and 2 were throughout.
Let's hope Season 4 starts off with a bang before the series loses some of its devoted audience.

score 7/10

deanna-31663 18 November 2019

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw5265705/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部