View: 105|Reply: 0

Relatable comedic escape

[Copy link]
13-12-2020 12:05:02 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
It was refreshing to watch a scripted sitcom, which parallels my experience as a southern-born first-generation African American college graduate. The humor, the values, and the political commentary juxtaposed against their faith takes me back home with every episode! I have absolutely loved both Loretta Devine and David Allen Grier for decades. Few actors can match the comedic expression of David's facial lines and raised eyebrow. The multi-talented Loretta Devine with her soulful voice is the perfect cast for the southern mother.

It has been difficult over the past decade or so to find a sitcom that both me and my extended family can relate to in this new age of "politically correct" and "millennial- centered" sitcoms ("Modern Family", "New Girl", "Big Bang Theory"). While I enjoy both New Girl and Big Bang Theory, I appreciate the NBC network for airing a show which reaches the often forgotten middle-age to older American audience. This show clearly reminds me that there is a great need for multiple voices and experiences to be expressed on network TV. I look forward to seeing the career path that the talented writer/actor Jerrod Carmichael will take.

score 10/10

reginaeasley 7 September 2015

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3312300/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部