View: 107|Reply: 0

Good show, great production values, seriously let down by its format

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
7-12-2020 22:01:32 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
The show is very entertaining, the acting, production, sound, etc. are all top.

This show, however, is let down by the outdated episodic/procedural format that TV is moving away from.

The problem is that every episode becomes a formula, a case introduced, slight intertwining of case with personal life, twist and ending. Rinse and repeat.

This formula was fine for Law and Order back in the 90's, but it gets boring very quickly. That's why many shows are moving away from that. Luther started with episodic and then went on to do to season-long cases (you guys call it series-long). Over in France, Engrenages (Spiral) is a season-long case. Denmark the same with the Killing, The Bridge and Follow the Money. Line of Duty is season-long cases. Justified also moved from episodic to season-long. Over in the law world, Suits also moved from procedural to season-long arcs and cases. A more serious show, The Night Of, also is a season-long story. Same with Better Call Saul.

Procedurals have short stories of short threads that always end by the end of the episode. There's no suspense, no reason to tune in week-in week-out or to binge. You watch one, enjoy it and then you don't care anymore.

Procedurals are now left behind for sitcoms or other weak dramas.

Procedurals let you cover more cases, but you get less of them. You get flashes of a courtroom, quick decisions, it's like watching speed chess.

There is no reason why this show couldn't do a major case every 3 - 4 episodes. Season 1 could've had 2 major cases, and have the multitude of small cases intertwine with the bigger ones, being a distraction or a chance to discover something.

I've watched a few episodes now but the formulaic nature got me bored. I write this in hope that producers making shows stop with procedurals.

score 7/10

SaraNijeVo 30 December 2016

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3609690/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部