View: 93|Reply: 0

Funny in a really weird way – best in small doses

[Copy link]
15-11-2020 12:21:19 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Harvey Birdman has long since had his day as a superhero but has now taken up a job as a lawyer at the firm of Sebben and Sebben. The move offers him a welcome change of pace but he still finds himself surrounded by all the same strange characters and goings-on.

I have seen this series advertised when in the US in the past but never bothered to stay up and watch it, however on my last visit I gave it a try. The show is hard to describe because it is just very weird. The characters and basic plots spoof the world of the square-jawed superheroes and supervillians by placing them in the office environment and making their characters even more exaggerated. Birdman himself is the most obvious example as he is now a bit of a fool despite his massive chest, although I also really enjoy the eye-patch sporting, womanising boss Sebben. It is all a bit too silly at times and some of it just occasionally feel like it is being weird just for the sake of it but, for me, the majority of the superhero spoof aspect carried it well enough.

The animation is true to the superhero genre and everything looks good with plenty of imaginative touches all round. The voice work is enjoyably silly with Gary Cole doing a great job in the lead role. Colbert is just as good as Phil, really getting into the feel of the character and the series. The support cast are generally good with some unusual guest voices in there.

Overall this is an acquired taste and naturally some will love it while other hate it. For me it was enjoyable enough to take in small doses – too much at once would just get tiresome but in 15 minute bites it is weirdly funny and entertaining. Not for everyone but certainly worth a look if you get the chance.

score /10

bob the moo 16 November 2005

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1217809/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部