View: 90|Reply: 0

Gritty, Wonderful, Offensive, Joyous, Vulgar, Kind, Cruel, Loving...

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
15-11-2020 11:32:23 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I found this show to be a bit of all the things I've summarized above, which is why I like it. For all its faults, Saving Grace is a lot like life; tossing us a hodgepodge of situations and emotions, some of which are not so easy to experience, but that's what makes this a great show. The casting is spot-on and, yes, some of the characters could use some development, but there have only been 13 episodes and the focus of the show is Grace herself, so that's also to be expected. If I had one complaint, it's that the character of Earl isn't used as much or often as I like. Leon Rippy is great as the angel Earl and I'm dying to see more of him along with his nuggets of wisdom and the revelations he brings to Grace. He's definitely not what I would've pictured an angel to look or act like, but he fills the wings perfectly.

It's been said that Holly Hunter's Grace doesn't deserve redemption, but I don't really understand that sentiment. Who could be more deserving of redemption than those that most sorely need it? The entire point of Earl's mission is to offer redemption to those who seem, to we mortals, as beyond redemption. Maybe Grace doesn't deserve redemption, but she needs it dearly, and one of the messages of this show is that God offers redemption to all because His love is unconditional and eternal.

As a Christian (Catholic to be specific), I must disagree that this show misses the chance to gain a following in the Christian community. The writers smartly avoid limiting (yes, limiting) themselves to endearing only the Christian community and keep the show's message of God's love open to all who believe in a supreme being. My Jewish friends would be less likely to identify with the messages in Saving Grace had Earl come with words about Jesus, yet there is also no belittling of the Christian doctrine, either. It's a smart move designed to be friendly to all people of faith, regardless of their particular denomination. Regarding different religions, Earl himself summed it up best when he said something to the effect of "They're all just different roads leading to the same place." Kudos to the producers for giving us a show that has a little "faith" without being preachy in this often Godless TV landscape. I'll keep watching and recommending this gem to all my friends. I hope you who read this will find the show as appealing as I do and pass the word along to others.

score 10/10

thogar 27 December 2007

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1788631/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部