View: 83|Reply: 0

An 80's Classic

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
15-11-2020 11:32:10 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I remember when I was a kid, Perfect Strangers was the show I used to look forward too the most. Balki (delightfully played by Bronson Pinchot) was an immigrant looking to move to New York from his home in Mypos. Larry (Mark Linn-Baker played this stiff contrast a little too well) was a panicky, independent single man taking himself way too seriously as he tried to get ahead in the rat race. When Balki shows up on his doorstep one day, Larry is somehow corralled into taking his more innocent cousin into his home and under his wing, hoping to teach Balki how to live life in the 'real world', and learning a lot more about it himself in the process.

Personally, I can't think of a better classic family program than this (well, actually 'I Love Lucy' is the only one I can think of). The concept isn't altogether unfamiliar. A little 'Odd Couple' and a little 'Laurel and Hardy', Perfect Strangers designs it's own unique formula by adding to the mix the concept of culture shock. The characters gradually become more fleshed out in later seasons, while their more endearing qualities established early on endure throughout.

This, by the way, was one of the shows that began the original 'TGIF' lineup that would later spawn such classic TV hits as Step By Step, Full House, and Famlily Matters.

This show is good fun for all ages, and I heartily recommend it!

score /10

OctoberFox 1 December 2005

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1228795/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部