View: 84|Reply: 0

The story and actors/actresses are great, but the English subtitle is terrible.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
13-11-2020 04:03:09 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I watched "Dae Jang-geum" from DVD's. Since I don't understand Korean and don't know how to change language with my DVD player, I watched the drama in Korean with English subtitle. The subtitle is OK from the first to the 16th DVD. But the second half (from the 17th DVD) the translation is terrible. I guess someone not good in English did the translation from a Chinese script, because I could kind of figure it out from the words as what they could be in Chinese. For example:

look like (or seem to be) ... translated as "elephant" (same character as image in simplified Chinese)

very likely ..... translated as "good elephant"

Queen Mother ..... translated as "stepmother" (queen and later are the same character in simplified Chinese)

(Your/His) Majesty ..... translated as "On the top" (or "On the")

Yes ..... translated as "Is"

I am..., You are...., translated as "I is....", "you is.....",

what to do ..... translated as "f--k what" (the very bad word)

the Queen ..... translated as "Positive Palace"

Jang-geum..... translated as "long now" (the name in Chinese characters)

There are grammar errors in almost every sentence. Most audience may not pay attention to these mistakes. But for people like me and my children to read English subtitle is the only way to understand the story. Please check the subtitle before you release the DVD's or broadcast the series in an English speaking country. Thank you.

score /10

theresaw-3 29 March 2007

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1626859/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部