View: 128|Reply: 0

Classic swinging 60's fare

[Copy link]
11-11-2020 22:38:15 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I will just add to the praise of this classic 1960's series, great stuff. I notice a lot of American fans of the series which poses a question. Did the American TV networks show the Saint and the Avengers in prime time slots because the shows were mainly set in 1960's Britain, then the most fashionable place on the planet ? And did US interest in these Brit ITC shows wane when the Beatles broke up and swinging London faded away ? I was thinking that when Time magazine famously described London as swinging in 1966 the US TV networks wanted series set in Britain that offered escapist fare in places that viewers in middle America couldn't imagine travelling to. Certainly audiences took to Roger Moore for the Saint lasted longer than the other ITC series. I also feel the Saint was Roger Moores finest hour. When he became James Bond the series was moving beyond reality and into cliché with less credible plots. In a sense the Bond films needed a bigger budget than the Saint and it had to show on the screen, hence the detachment from reality. The Saint shows that Roger Moore could play it straight in credible plot lines.

score /10

lebensraum-1 2 March 2006

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1304638/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部