View: 68|Reply: 0

Entertaining, But Feels Incomplete

[Copy link]
5-11-2020 01:26:02 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
First off, the other reviewers complaining about the "bias" in this documentary are being overly sensitive. While there are definitely opinions about his character offered by the people being interviewed at certain points (I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to have an opinion about Trump not acknowledging the construction workers who actually did all of the labor, or worse, not paying them on time), the vast majority of what's presented are facts. These facts are well-documented both from news publications and from interviews with people who've known him for decades (both friends and detractors). For good measure, there are even excerpts from historical interviews with the man himself (although, thankfully, he was not interviewed for the making of this documentary). It's neither a character assassination nor is it anything that will fuel his cult of personality (which is perhaps what has offended his supporters so much); I could hardly imagine a more neutral assessment of Trump's life leading up to his election. However, I do feel like it doesn't quite go into enough depth. The first 3 episodes have a really nice narrative put together, but something about the final episode doesn't feel complete to me. I think maybe they should have gone the extra mile and covered all the circumstances of him actually running in 2016 and securing the presidency. Additionally, although not as necessary, it would have been interesting to have a bit about his life before he was 27. Some interviews with people who knew him as a teenager/young adult would have maybe revealed some more as to how he ended up being the person he is. Either way, unless you're the most fervent Trump supporter who only wants to hear superlative after superlative about your Dear Leader, An American Dream will keep you entertained from start to finish and helps to put everything into context for those of us who aren't old enough to remember his persona from the 70s/80s/90s.

score 7/10

tylerwoodrownichols 30 June 2018

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4220788/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部