View: 101|Reply: 0

BBC's masterclass of acting

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-11-2020 18:22:17 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I, Claudius is one the best BBC dramas ever, and sadly reflects a bygone age of programming of quality and substance, rather than bland reality TV.

Adapted from Robert Graves' books, this series tells the story of the Julio-Claudian house of Emperors, from Augustus to the beginning of the reign of Nero as seen through the eyes of Claudius. Taking full advantage of the gossip of the ancient sources, all the plausible (and some of the less plausible) rumours make it in to Graves' story.

Told as a flash-back narrative by Claudius, the story follows all the plots and intrigues concerning the succession of each emperor, most notable of which is Livia and her plan for her son Tiberius to follow Augustus. As each plot unfolds throughout the various successions, Claudius is witness to all the events and is left alone as he is deemed foolish and harmless by his peers, as he emphasises his limp and stammer. In the final part, Claudius himself is proclaimed Emperor and the story follows his troubled reign, with the debauchery of Messalina and the scheming of Agrippina, as the real Claudius said; that it was his destiny first to suffer and finally to punish the infamy of his wives.

The acting in 'I, Claudius' is just first class by the entire cast, especially in light of the relatively low production values. Derek Jacobi is convincing as Claudius ages, and his transformation from nervy youth to commanding Emperor is fascinating to watch. This is only outdone by Sian Phillips as Livia, who brings so much depth to the character that you don't just regard her as evil, but as a woman with a purpose, albeit misguided. And by the time of her death you actually begin to feel sympathy for her. Other notable performances are John Hurt's Caligula, Patrick Stewart as Sejanus and Brian Blessed as Augustus.

'I, Claudius' is such a true classic that it is hard to imagine that there will ever be another production of this quality ever made again.

score 10/10

Shade2 1 March 2005

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1030899/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部