View: 84|Reply: 0

Almost Indescribable Charm

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-10-2020 15:54:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have no idea why this came up as a recommended title for me on Netflix, but I am so glad it did. I've never shown an interest in non-English titles, let alone those in Chinese, and I almost gave it a pass. I'm now blessing my lack of impulse control. I was charmed almost immediately, even if the first two episodes left me pretty much completely lost. I was still mesmerized. Sticking with it, I was able to piece together the story, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

The lavish scenery, the music, the sets and costumes create a fascinating world, but the actors are enchanting beyond belief, and they sell this story like they were born for it. They all play their characters with an earnestness that makes the heart squeeze. Seeing the two leads bond throughout the series is a joy to watch, even throughout the emotionally wrenching periods of turmoil that drive the plot and the mysteries. There is something wholly profound, almost deliriously romantic in a way, about their relationship and how it deepens and evolves.

Whenever the mischievous Wei WuXian smiles, it feels like sunshine bursting from the screen. When we finally see the ridiculously stoic Lan WanJi smile, it's breathtaking for all its quiet honesty. It leaves you sorely wanting more.

It's not exactly perfect, though, this series. The effects are frankly sometimes silly. But it doesn't matter, with a story this captivating. The often fast dialogue can be tough to catch via the subtitles, but you do follow the gist. One serious negative is how the story treats the women on the whole. For any other series, it would be a deal-breaker for me. But I was otherwise so completely taken by the series that I can look past that. What I love about the series outweighs the negatives so much that I have no hesitation to give it a ten. It's earned that ten from me.

This series was actually more of an experience, and I intend to go through it again. I'm not ready to let go.

score 10/10

spamtest 21 February 2020

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw5498788/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部