View: 84|Reply: 0

"Promenade Deck, Gopher?"

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-10-2020 12:35:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I had a college roommate who claimed that a friend of his was fired from his job as a Washington, DC elevator operator when he used the above line on then Congressman Fred Grandy who apparently didn't appreciate the jibe at his previous career.

Anyway, "The Love Boat." I was in grade-school when it began its run in 1977. I wasn't a fan. My older sister, though, was and almost every Saturday night she'd dominate our basement TV as she watched "The Love Boat" and then "Fantasy Island." I was usually playing with my toys on the nearby floor, but even immersed in my games I'd still be able to follow the storyline of the show. That was easy to do even for a distracted grade-schooler because IT WAS THE EXACT SAME STORY EVERY SINGLE WEEK!

The show's plot involved the romantic escapades of its guest stars on the love boat, the ocean cruise liner, the Pacific Princess.

The Pacific Princess' guests consisted of either current "stars" of other ABC programs in an obvious ploy to draw cross-over fans to those shows, struggling young actors/comedians who were happy to get any paying gig, faded stars of Hollywood's Golden Age looking for one last hurrah, and legions of D-grade celebs/actors whose careers were foundering. These guests would show-up on the boat. Interact with the "zany" crew. Meet another guest of the opposite sex usually with the assistance of the zany crew. Romantic sparks would explode to the accompaniment of a lamer than usual laugh-track. However, a misunderstanding or disagreement would occur and be followed by an angry break-up. Then the inevitable reconciliation (often assisted by the zany crew) and everyone would depart the Pacific Princess smiling and holding hands.

It was the same story every week. Only one week you'd have young Robert Urich and Meredith Baxter (both struggling actors at the time) and the next it'd be Marcia Brady and Juan Epstein (both whose careers were pretty much dead).

It was predictable, brainless 70's TV schlock, but I do admit to liking one thing about it: Lauren Tewes as the cruise director, "Julie McCoy." Even as a grade-schooler, I thought she was really cute especially with the short, bob hair-cut that she wore in the early seasons. Later on, when she replaced her bob with heavily tinted and BIG 80's hair whatever hold she had upon me disappeared. Also, her character gradually disappeared as well with the repulsively annoying "Vicki," the captain's daughter, seemingly taking over her role. It wasn't until years later that I learned that Ms. Tewes had developed a serious cocaine addiction while working on the show. Her work became more and more erratic resulting in her screen-time being drastically cut and then eventually to her being fired. A sad tale of 1980's Hollywood.

score 5/10

twhiteson 14 July 2016

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3504405/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部