View: 108|Reply: 0

Fun Canadian TV Show

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
20-10-2020 00:04:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'd like to start this review of the series by saying that I loved this show. I watched it three times, actually. It's fun and suspenseful, with a lot of Newfoundland charm. (I am not from NFLD, I'm from Nova Scotia, but my fam is from Newf.) Those who were expecting a serious crime drama were probably disappointed. This is a classic dramady series with so much heart.

One thing I would really like to mention is that at first, I hated the main character, Jake Doyle. He's in his early thirties and is a classic screw up. He's an ex-cop going through a divorce, his business isn't doing well, he has a strained relationship with his brother, he sleeps around, gets drunk a lot, and is just an overall massive tool. But as the series goes on, you realize that it is intentional. Jake grows so much throughout the series, and I feel like I appreciated him so much more than if he had been likeable from the start. He becomes a great character, without changing completely. It's like he learned how to be himself and also be a responsible, charming adult. So if Jake annoys you, stick with it! It gets better!! Allan Hawco is an amazing actor. He brought to much to this character, and I feel like he put a lot of himself into the character of Jake. This makes him seem more realistic instead of outlandish.

The rest of the main cast is delightful too. Leslie Bennett is the love interest and the actress who plays her, Krystin Pellerin is seriously phenomenal. Allan and Leslie have amazing chemistry, and their scenes together are by far the best in the series. Their acting is so effortless when they are together on screen.

Jake's relationship with his dad, Mal, is also incredible to watch. You get the sense that they love and respect each other, even though it's not always apparent.

All of the characters have their own charm, and I wish I could be a part of their family. Special mention of my favourite character Des. He's seriously incredible.

The guest stars are amazing, especially if you're a fan of Canadian TV: Victor Garber, Paul Gross, Mark Critch, Gordon Pinsent, Joel Thomas Hynes, Yannick Bisson, Alan Doyle of Great Big Sea, Scott Grimes, Kevin Durand, Enrico Colantoni, and of course Russell Crowe, just to name a few.

For my fellow Canadians, if you are a fan of Rookie Blue or Private Eyes, you'll like this show. A lot of the actors from Rookie Blue appear as guest stars.
Overall, if you are looking for a series that oozes heart, humour, and home, this is the one for you. (Also if you love a will-they-or-won't-they relationship you can ship, this is perfect for you.)

score 10/10

CaitCat343 4 December 2018

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4493657/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部