View: 102|Reply: 0

Uneven Aussie Drama... gorgeous scenery

[Copy link]
9-10-2020 22:57:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As a former resident of Adelaide and South Australia I was very happy to discover this TV series set in the "outback" of SA (though Gawler is really not the Outback). I was homesick and I loved seeing the magnificent South Australian landscape that I am very familiar with, as well as the few episodes filmed in Adelaide (I recognized many of the locales).

PROS - Scenery - the amazing scenery of my South Australian home. - The Animals portrayed realistically (death, sickness and healthy animals) - First few seasons were excellent - Filmed on film (not digitally filmed) and this is a costly process. - They did not show one koala or kangaroo which seems to be de rigeur for any show filmed in Oz.

CONS - Actors/actresses portray the Aussie stereotype of white gorgeous skinny women and muscled men who drive Utes, motorcycles and like to punch each other out. It's not realistic, but then again, it is a television drama. - Cast of characters were constantly changing and unless you watched the series in the right sequence from the beginning it is easy to get confused as to who is who. The revolving door was the worse part. - Later episodes started to degenerate, IMO, into soap opera territory. Overly contrived example episode where Alex proposed to Stevie involved helping a neighbor, getting their tuck hijacked, etc. etc. and he proposes while in mud. Later on redeems himself by flying her on a helicopter to tell her he loved her in a field of canola (which I have seen personally and its gorgeous). - some of the slang may be hard for non-Aussies to understand. some of it we don't really use in Adelaide (e.g., saying hoo roo for goodbye).

score 8/10

newyorkmini 30 January 2009

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2015751/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部